Tuesday 26 March 2013

 Management tip  4

Dealing with impulsive decision making 

One of the most difficult  ADHD symptoms to deal with is decision making.  This is due to the ADHDer  living  in the moment with very little thought given to the consequences of making that decision. It is important to remember that people with ADHD do not have the internal signals that alert a person to think things through before making any decision. 

It is for this reason that we need  to crate are own alert signals these we call our brakes. The way we get these brakes to work is to start to follow a set of rules that we set up in preparation for the coming impulsive decision. 

1. When it is a decision about going out and spending money you most not say yes within the space of a Minute. The first thing you must say is " I will need to think about that ,  Let me get back to you ,  Then go away and think this through by asking yourself these questions 

  • Do I really want to go out ? 
  • How much is it going to cost me ?
  • Have I got any spare money
  • Is it a working day tomorrow          
Once you have answered these questions , you can then make an informed decision based on fact instead of impulse

2. When something is said to you , that perhaps you do not agree with,  before wading in with comments either with or without anger attached to it . Hold back and put the brakes on your response. Ask yourself 
  • Do I really need to voice my response ?
  • How productive will my response be?
  • Am I prepared for a negative response       .  
Again your decision will be based on fact you can then make the decision to either respond or let it go 

No comments:

Post a Comment